But what makes a blog successful? In the world of B2B lead generation, successful blogging means generating traffic – not just any traffic, but ones that eventually turn into sales opportunities. In short, a blog should be able to attract the right kind of people, with the right intentions.
Consider this excerpt from a post by Eric Siu, CEO of a San Fransisco-based digital marketing firm. He breaks down 7 principles every B2B blogger should take in by heart in order to be successful:
1. Posting frequency matters, but not as much as persistence. It’s no secret that the more quality content you publish on your blog, the faster it will grow. However, there’s something that’s significantly more important than your blog’s posting frequency — persistence.
Building a blog is not easy, and requires a huge amount of effort to reach a tipping point. All of the blogs analyzed persisted with a high posting frequency over a long period of time.
2. Know the 20 percent that drives 80 percent of your results. In the context of blogging, 80 percent of your traffic will usually comes from 20 percent of your content. Eighty percent of your profits usually comes from 20 percent of your products or advertisers, and so on.
The blogs that grew the fastest leveraged this phenomenon and used it to become more effective.
3. The importance of good timing and owning a niche. It would be very difficult to build a social media and technology blog as successful as Mashable starting today. Many of the most successful blogs we know of today are successful in large part thanks to their timing.
Timing plays a key role in the equation of success, and it’s evident when we look at the most successful blogs of today.
4. Over the long run, useful content usually beats viral content. You might think from reading web-marketing blogs that viral content is the be all and end all of digital marketing. Over the long run, though, useful content usually outperforms viral content.
When analyzing the highest traffic and most-linked to pages on successful blogs, it became clear that very rarely were the most successful articles viral hits.
5. Building traffic takes time, but this time can be reduced with planning. Building a high-traffic blog requires time, but this time can be reduced with careful planning. Careful planning can be the difference between reaching a million visitors in six months or 60 months. By knowing specifically how you intend to reach your goals, you maximize the likelihood of hitting them.
6. Utilize the power of compounding. The flywheel is a huge heavy metal disc that takes a tremendous amount of energy to turn. After weeks and months of pushing the flywheel it finally reaches a point where it spins faster and faster under its own weight. The flywheel is a great analogy of how building a blog works.
What this is really referring to is the power of compounding. Building a successful blog takes a tremendous amount of effort, but over time, the amount of effort required to keep it growing, negotiate deals and drive revenue, decreases.
7. Using stakes to overcome the emotional challenges. Growing a blog is an emotional challenge that requires will, passion and persistence. Successful bloggers need a driving force that keeps them persisting through the hard times.
Read the full post at The 7 Principles of Launching a Super Successful Blog